Unexpected Pregnancy and Options for Students in Laconia, NH
An unexpected pregnancy doesn’t mean the end of your education. Although fear may reach for the reins, know there are people, laws, and organizations to support you in this decision and beyond. Before you move forward, learn more about your options, rights, and the resources available to you.
Options for Students
An informed decision is an empowered decision. We provide consultations on the following options and will answer any questions you have about outcomes, risks, and what to expect.
Make an Appointment
● Abortion – Come see us for evidence-based medical information on the abortion pill and abortion procedures. We provide free pregnancy confirmation, education, and resources so you can make a fully informed choice.
● Adoption – If you are considering adoption, we can provide information on open, closed, and semi-open adoptions and what each could look like for you.
● Parenting – We provide no-cost pregnancy services to anyone facing an unexpected pregnancy. Learn more about our programs and resources for pregnant students too.
Rights for Students
Title IX protects pregnant students against discrimination at all federally funded schools. The following are some areas Title IX shields you from injustice.
● Missing Class - Absences due to pregnancy, including all appointments relating to pregnancy, must be excused if a doctor's note is provided. We can provide one at your appointment.
● Make-up Work - Professors cannot penalize your grades due to pregnancy issues. An opportunity to make-up missed work must be provided.
● Leave of Absence - You can be granted a leave of absence for as long as it is medically necessary. Your current education status must be reinstated upon your return.
● Special Accommodations - Your school is required to provide you with the same special services they provide to students with temporary disabilities. Check out your school’s ADA or “Disability Accommodation Policy” for more information.
● Scholarships - You cannot have your academic or athletic scholarships revoked due to pregnancy.
● Filing Complaints - Any student is allowed to file a complaint if they think the law is being violated.
● High School Students - If you are a high school student, you are required to go to school until you graduate, reach the age of 17, or earn your GED. If you are a minor, you have a right to continue your education while pregnant. Many schools offer online learning to students who no longer wish to attend school on campus.
Resources for Students
● Hotlines - Confidential hotlines like LoveLine link you to trained individuals, who can explain your options and connect you with local resources. Call or Text LoveLine @ 888.550.1588.
● Residential Life or Human Resources Department - Many universities offer family or single parent housing. Contact your school’s Residential Life or Human Resources department to check on rates and eligibility.
● Trusted Family and Friends - Sharing with family and friends about an unplanned pregnancy can feel intimidating. Although breaking the news requires courage, those closest to you can be a source of support during and after pregnancy.
● Free Clinics and Pregnancy Centers – That’s us! We provide confidential and non-judgmental services to anyone who thinks she may be pregnant or is facing an unexpected pregnancy.
Services for Students
Some of our free services for students can include pregnancy testing, options consultations, ultrasounds, parenting programs, medical referrals, and more. We know an unplanned pregnancy can be especially difficult for students or anyone planning to start a trade.
Outside of the medical and educational services we provide, we are here to help connect you to the local resources and agencies that provide additional services at no-cost or at little cost to you.
Your Future. Your Choice.
An unexpected pregnancy does not have to hinder your education. You are not alone in this decision, and yes, you can earn a degree while pregnant or parenting.
Although you may feel alone at this moment, people are waiting in the wings to lend support and help you thrive! Take the first step and make an appointment today.
You are stronger, braver, and more resilient than you know, and we’re here to make sure you believe it. 😊
Note: We do not perform or refer for abortions.